With Victoria Day upon us, it seems like the summer has official started. I’ve seen lots of talk about the firsts – first barbecue, first trip for ice cream, first drinks on the patio. I want to celebrate summer, too, but without making it all about food and calories. Last year, Sara wrote about her Summer of Awesome on her personal blog and this year, I’d like to plan my own Summer of Awesome to celebrate the season without sabotaging my weight and fitness.
I’ll need some help to develop a full plan and also to get myself to the activities – I’m a great planner but need help with execution sometimes. Here’s what I have so far:
- Alcatel-Lucent Sunday Bike Days – from 9am-1pm on Sundays, the NCC parkways are closed and people can roller blade, bike and run along them. Reid and I roller bladed for a embarassingly short distance last summer. I want to extend the distance this year.
- Camp Fortune Aerial Adventure – with rope bridges, suspended walkways and net gangways, this course scares me silly. I’ll need someone to hold my hand, talk tough love and then swagger with me at the end when we finish it.
- City of Ottawa outdoor pool – I grew up on a farm and learned to swim in an outdoor pool. In the last few decades, I’ve done minimal actual swimming. I want to get past my “survival swim skills” and maybe returning to my roots will help.
- Perth Kilt Run – I’m trying to find fun, somewhat odd runs to participate in. This one will meet the requirements.
- Gatineau Park hike – I’ve been to Moorside/Kingsmere many times but I think walking the paths in that part of the park would qualify as a “ramble” more than a hike. I want to tackle a hike that requires proper footwear, a water bottle and some sweating to complete.
- Ride a bike outside – Confession time: I haven’t been on a bike outside in about 15 years. Worse, I’m afraid to do it because I might fall off. I need to get back on the horse, as they say.
- Ottawa city beaches – I swam in Lake Erie as a child. It was cold and wavy and I loved it. I still go in when I’m visiting my mom. Ottawa beaches, though, are a bit intimidating now that people are concerned with things like water quality.
What active outdoor activities am I missing? Have you done any of the above? Do you want to do any of the above with me?
I woke up last Sunday with a pulled muscle. I ran 20 kilometres anyway and spent the rest of the week limping and in pain. I’m a bit worried about my half-marathon on May 26 but will baby my leg until then and hope for the best.
I’m not. My body really likes this weight and I’m still looking for the spark that will get my commitment re-energized.